Sunday, February 12, 2017

Product review: TWO PAIRS OF TIGHTS (Calzedonia)

Just before Christmas, I picked up two pairs of tights in the Calzedonia sale, pictured below:



The sparkly pair with the larger polka dots were originally £16, half price to £8, and the matte pair with the smaller dots were also half price, £5.50 from £11.

The original RRP of these two are quite a bit more than I usually spend on hosiery, although this is reflected in their elegant, fun yet classy design. For example, I generally don’t wear sparkly or patterned tights (even just polka dots) if I’m wearing a skirt or a dress with a print on it, at the risk of ‘over-decorating’ the outfit and making it seem like there’s too much going on. Yet I wore the £8 Calzedonia pair with a black skirt with quite intricate floral print on it, and somehow, the outfit didn’t look too busy. [Check out said OOTD].

I think the fact that my T-shirt was plain helped counterbalance all the designs and spots on my legs; were I wearing a full dress with that floral print, I probably wouldn’t have worn the tights. But I dug how that outfit looked and will be experimenting with similar looks in the future!

Another area where these tights being more expensive than my usual was reflected in the quality was how wonderfully thick they were! Whilst they may not look particularly thick, such as a pair of woolly tights, they protected my legs valiantly against the blistering winter cold. I do have quite a few pairs of thick tights, but they tend to be less glamorous woolly ones, rather than particularly Vogue, so I love that these two are both functional as well as fashionable.

I do have a minor gripe at both pairs of tights, which is a criticism that can probably apply to the vast majority of heavier hosiery, and that’s that over the course of the day, or if you walk for quite some distance over a period of time, the tights well tend to ride towards the soles of your feet, so you have to hitch them up now and then, a bit of a pain.

Overall, though, I’m really glad I bought these tights because they jazzed up my winter attire considerably. Having good experiences with them, I’m now not so shy to spend a little more on hosiery, so, watch this space!

Grade: A-

---

All my product reviews are listed here.

No comments: